Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Orientation Week Reflections

Hey y'all!

Last week we had district-wide new teacher orientation. Good grief, it was exhausting. Over one thousand of us met in a high school and dug into what it means to be a teacher in our district - learning about the focus for PD that the district has selected for the year, what goals have been set, and an overarching theme of "you guys totally got this". We also broke into much smaller groups to discuss the nitty-gritty details of being a teacher - behavior management, classroom set-up, ideas for building a community within the four walls we're assigned, and so on.

I really enjoyed learning a great deal about the district and meeting the women (and handful of men) who I'll be attending monthly seminar meetings with to support us in our first year of teaching. However, I'm not a big fan of crowds, and this was not only jam-packed, but hectic, and I ended each day feeling as if I had run a marathon.

We spent Friday at our own schools, and I don't know what everyone else did, but we had lots of meetings and get-to-know-you things. My school is one that is in need of a turn-around, at least when it comes to testing results, so there's a lot to do in terms of revamping and rehabilitating instructional practices. In some regards, I'm glad to be a new teacher here - it's all new to me, not a change from something old, just fancy and new. I'm a little more open to the ideas being sent our way, I think, and maybe that will help.

Stay tuned for a room set-up post tomorrow and a "what we did the week before school" post later on!

xoxo

Miss Zee

No comments:

Post a Comment